Sole Leather No. 3
Sole Leather No. 3
2nd Floor Waldoboro Shoe Factory, c. 1888 Eveleth Reservoir
Waldoboro, Lincoln County, Maine
From the Echoes, Still: Maine's Industrial Remnants Collection (2024–2028)
Interiors Portfolio
Historical Narrative
The Waldoboro Shoe Factory: Industry, Workers, and Community Memory in Rural Maine
Kevin LeDuc Pigment print on Hahnemühle Baryta Edition of 5 + 1 Artist's Proof (Portfolio of 40 Images)
Paper Size: 40 × 55 inches Image Size: 31.33 × 37 inches Borders: Approximately 4 inches (All Sides)
Historic Significance
The Waldoboro Shoe Factory, constructed in 1888, is a significant example of late nineteenth-century industrial development in rural Maine. Established as a public venture, the factory's original enterprise lasted only about four years before the property transitioned to private management. By November 1891, the building was operated as the W. H. Daniels & Company Shoe Factory (Men's), with a five-story manufacturing layout designed for efficient shoe production, including storage on the first floor, sole leather operations on the second floor, finishing and packing on the third floor, bottoming and cutting on the fourth floor, and stitching on the fifth floor. The Evans, Bell & Clark Company, incorporated in 1895, continued shoe manufacturing at the facility while maintaining the same factory layout before operations ended by 1896.
Following the decline of shoe production, the building remained an important industrial site through adaptive reuse. In 1920, the former shoe factory entered a new manufacturing era, and in 1921 the Paragon Button Corporation began producing pearl buttons at the property. Later, SNS Plastics continued button manufacturing until closing in 1993. In 1997, George J. Hachmeister purchased the historic building, preserving it as a residence, workshop, and creative space. The Waldoboro Shoe Factory is significant not only for its early role in Maine's shoe industry but also for its long history of industrial adaptation, reflecting the changing technologies, workers, and communities that shaped the property for more than a century.
Historical Narrative
-
The Waldoboro Shoe Factory was constructed in 1888 on the east bank of the Medomak River in Waldoboro, Lincoln County, Maine. As shipbuilding along the Medomak River declined in the late 1880s, local leaders sought new industries to support the town’s economy and provide employment. To that end, the town invested heavily in the construction of a large textile manufacturing facility.¹
The four‑story, approximately 30,000‑square‑foot building was erected with an investment of $32,000, of which the town itself contributed $20,000. The factory was sited adjacent to a new reservoir created to supply water for industrial use. Because electrical power was not yet available locally, the building relied on gasoline engines to power a system of belts and pulleys that drove its internal machinery.¹
When completed, the Waldoboro Shoe Factory was intended to produce shoes using mechanized equipment — a transition from traditional handcrafting to industrial shoemaking that was sweeping New England during the late 19th century. However, despite the investment and its substantial size, the factory only produced shoes for a few years before ceasing operations and becoming vacant.¹
Following its short‑lived use as a shoe factory, the building sat largely unused until 1920, when it was sold at a loss. The Holub, Dusha Company then repurposed the space for the manufacture of button‑machinery parts. In 1921, the Paragon Button Corporation began producing pearl buttons from imported shells, which were shipped to Maine from sources including Australia, Manila, and the Fiji Islands.²
Under the Paragon Button Corporation, the facility became a significant contributor to Waldoboro’s industrial base, employing about 82 people at its peak and sustaining local economic activity for decades.² In 1943, Stanley and Rolsala Gerson of Patrician Plastics purchased the operation and, in 1957, transitioned production from pearl to plastic buttons. The factory produced millions of buttons, dice, dominoes, and poker chips through the mid‑20th century, although employment declined to about 25–30 workers by 1981. That year the factory ceased formal operations, marking the end of active manufacturing in the building.²
Over time the former shoe factory and button factory became known locally as the button factory due to its long association with button production. In more recent years, the building has been used in informal ways, including as a residence, workshop, art studio, and creative space by individuals living there, reflecting both local connection to the site and the challenges of finding new industrial uses for historic structures.³
The Waldoboro Shoe Factory’s history — from ambitious local industrial investment in 1888, to brief shoe production, to decades of button and plastic goods manufacturing — illustrates both the aspirations and economic shifts of small‑town New England industrial life around the turn of the 20th century and through the mid‑20th century.
Footnotes
Construction, financing, structure, machinery and power system, and short period of shoe production: Penobscot Marine Museum, Shoe Factory, Waldoboro, ca. 1910 (Maine Memory Network, Item #105880).
Subsequent use by Holub, Dusha Company; Paragon Button Corporation’s button manufacturing, employment figures, Gerson ownership, conversion to plastic button production, and eventual closure in the early 1980s: Penobscot Marine Museum, Paragon Button Corporation, Waldoboro, 1921 (Maine Memory Network, Item #105904).
Contemporary artistic and residential use of the former button factory building: Molly Rains, “Among Boats and Buttons, Bobo Hachmeister is Free,” Lincoln County News, August 19, 2024, describing long‑term inhabitant and use of the historic factory structure.
Bibliography
Penobscot Marine Museum. Shoe Factory, Waldoboro, ca. 1910. Maine Memory Network Item #105880.
Penobscot Marine Museum. Paragon Button Corporation, Waldoboro, 1921. Maine Memory Network Item #105904.
Rains, Molly. “Among Boats and Buttons, Bobo Hachmeister is Free.” Lincoln County News, August 19, 2024
.As shipbuilding along the Medomak River declined in the late 1880s, Waldoboro sought new industries to support its economy. In 1888, the town heavily invested in constructing the Waldoboro Shoe Factory, covering most of the $32,000 cost. The four-story, 30,000-square-foot building operated using gasoline engines and a system of belts and pulleys, as electricity was not yet available. Although the factory was designed to support the local workforce, it only produced shoes for a short time before becoming vacant.
The building remained unused until 1920, when the Holub, Dusha Company repurposed it for manufacturing button machinery parts. This marked the beginning of a new era for the site. In 1921, the Paragon Button Corporation began making pearl buttons from imported shells. The company grew to employ about 82 people in Waldoboro and contributed to the town's industrial base for decades. This operation continued under new ownership after Stanley and Rolsala Gerson of Patrician Plastics purchased the facility in 1943.
Under the Gersons, the factory transitioned from pearl to plastic button production in 1957. By 1981, the workforce had declined to just 25–30 employees, but they still produced large quantities of buttons, dice, dominoes, and poker chips. The factory eventually closed in the early 1980s, and since then, the historic building has not housed any formal businesses, reflecting the broader industrial shifts that shaped Waldoboro's economic history.
