Westbrook Manufacturing Co., Mill No. 2, c. 1868

Westbrook Manufacturing Co., Mill No. 2, c. 1868

$0.00

One Riverfront Plaza, c.2004 Saccarappa Falls, Presumpscot River
Westbrook, Cumberland County, Maine

From the Echoes, Still: Maine's Industrial Remnants Collection (2024–2028)
Facades Portfolio

Historical Narrative
The Industrial Life and Afterlife of Mill No. 2: The Evolution of a Westbrook Mill Site

Kevin LeDuc Pigment print on Hahnemühle Baryta Edition of 5 + 1 Artist's Proof (Portfolio of 40 Images)

Paper Size: 40 × 55 inches Image Size: 31.33 × 37 inches Borders: Approximately 4 inches (All Sides)

Quantity:
Add To Cart

Historic Significance

Mill No. 2 of the Westbrook Manufacturing Company, built in 1868 along Bridge Street, was an important part of Westbrook’s nineteenth-century industrial landscape. Located along the Presumpscot River, the brick multi-story mill reflected the typical design of New England textile factories, featuring large windows and a belfry bell used to organize workers’ schedules. The mill operated as part of a larger industrial corridor that shaped Westbrook’s identity as a river-powered manufacturing town.

The mill specialized in producing “duck,” a heavy cotton fabric used for durable products such as sails, tents, wagon covers, and other industrial materials. Its production connected Westbrook to a wider textile economy, with demand increasing during and after the Civil War. Like many mills of the period, Mill No. 2 supported local employment and economic growth through large-scale textile operations. However, the devastating flood of 1896 along the Presumpscot River severely damaged the company’s facilities, leading to the closure of the Westbrook Manufacturing Company later that year.

After the company’s failure, the property was purchased by the Dana Warp Mill, which continued using the building for textile-related work, including yarn preparation and treatment, until 1956. Although the site remained industrially active for decades, the original structure gradually deteriorated, and parts of the mill were dismantled. The mill’s historic bell was preserved and donated to the First Baptist Church of Westbrook. Later, Stultz Electric Motor Company used the remaining structure for industrial repair operations, marking the final phase of the site’s manufacturing history.

By the late twentieth century, the property had become a deteriorated brownfield requiring major environmental cleanup due to contamination from decades of industrial use. The construction of One Riverfront Plaza in 2004 transformed the former mill site as part of Westbrook’s downtown riverfront redevelopment efforts. Developed with municipal support, the project created a six-story office building and parking facility that replaced the abandoned industrial landscape and became a major symbol of economic revitalization along the Presumpscot River.

Historical Narrative