Roak Block
Roak Block
c. 1872
Androscoggin County, Auburn, Maine
From the portfolio Echoes, Still: Maine’s Industrial Remnants – Facades, 2025-2026
Pigment print on Hahnemühle Baryta
AP + Edition of 4
30 × 45 inches
-
Description text goes here
-
Discount rates are available for Institutional collections when purchasing two or more additional prints.
Turnaround time for Photographs listed in this gallery can be shipped within ten (10) business days.
I currently fulfil orders from within the Conterminous United States.
Available in sets, each featuring a curated selection of four individual photographs handpicked by the artist
If you're interested in another photograph from Requiem For America Series or if you would like to request additional prints from another series, please inquire.
-
The history of the Roak Block in Lewiston, located in Androscoggin County, reflects the commercial maturation of a nineteenth-century mill city whose downtown blocks embodied both mercantile ambition and urban resilience. Rising during Lewiston’s peak textile era, the Roak Block served as a focal point of retail, professional offices, and immigrant enterprise, mirroring the broader economic and social evolution of the city.
Origins and Construction (1870s–1880s)
Lewiston’s downtown commercial district expanded rapidly after the Civil War as textile production along the Androscoggin River drew capital and population into the city.¹ Brick commercial blocks replaced earlier wood structures, reflecting both prosperity and lessons learned from devastating urban fires common to New England mill towns.²
The Roak Block was constructed in 1871 (with later interior modifications in the 1880s) by local businessman Patrick Roak, a merchant of Irish descent who had established himself in Lewiston’s growing retail trade.³ Located near Lisbon Street—the city’s principal commercial corridor—the building occupied a strategic position within walking distance of major mills and residential neighborhoods.⁴
Architecturally, the Roak Block was designed in the Italianate commercial style popular in late nineteenth-century New England.⁵ Its brick façade featured arched window openings, bracketed cornices, and cast-iron storefront framing at street level. Large display windows accommodated dry goods and clothing merchants, while upper floors were intended for offices, professional suites, and occasional residential occupancy.⁶
Commercial Functions and Tenancy
From its earliest years, the Roak Block housed a mix of retail establishments and service providers. City directories from the 1870s and 1880s list dry goods dealers, boot and shoe retailers, tailors, and insurance agents among its tenants.⁷
Between 1872 and 1900, at least four separate boot and shoe firms are documented as occupying storefront or upper-floor commercial space within the Roak Block.⁸ These included independent retailers as well as small-scale manufacturers who combined salesrooms with light finishing or repair work on site. Their presence reflected Lewiston’s expanding footwear trade, which operated alongside the dominant textile industry.
This activity must be understood within the broader footwear economy of the Lewiston–Auburn area. By the mid-1890s, directories and state industrial reports indicate that Auburn contained approximately twelve incorporated or large-scale shoe manufacturing firms, in addition to numerous smaller shops and repair establishments.⁹ Among the better-known Auburn firms of the late nineteenth century were the Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company, the Auburn Shoe Manufacturing Company, the Maine Shoe Company, and the Union Shoe Company.¹⁰ Collectively, these factories employed several hundred operatives and contributed significantly to the twin cities’ industrial diversification beyond textiles.¹¹
Upper floors of the Roak Block commonly accommodated lawyers, physicians, fraternal organizations, and small commercial offices.¹² As with many downtown blocks of the period, the building functioned as a vertical mixed-use structure, integrating commerce and professional services within a compact urban footprint.
Labor, Immigration, and Urban Life
The Roak Block’s commercial vitality was closely tied to Lewiston’s immigrant workforce. By the 1880s and 1890s, large numbers of French-Canadian families had settled in the city, drawn by employment opportunities in the mills.¹³ These communities patronized downtown retailers and increasingly established their own enterprises within commercial blocks such as the Roak.
Irish merchants and shopkeepers also maintained a presence in the building’s early decades, reflecting the ethnic diversity of Lewiston’s commercial class.¹⁴ Over time, French-Canadian entrepreneurs leased storefronts for groceries, clothing shops, and specialty retail, contributing to the block’s role as a center of immigrant economic advancement.¹⁵
Wages earned in nearby textile mills—often ranging from $6 to $12 per week in the late nineteenth century depending on skill and hours—supported modest but steady consumer spending in downtown shops.¹⁶ Workers typically resided in dense tenement housing near the mill complexes, walking daily to both factory and commercial district.¹⁷
The Roak Block thus served as a physical intersection of labor and commerce: mill operatives generated purchasing power, while downtown merchants supplied goods that shaped daily life, from clothing and footwear to household necessities.
Twentieth-Century Adaptation and Decline
As Lewiston entered the twentieth century, downtown commercial blocks faced new pressures from chain stores, suburban development, and eventual industrial contraction.¹⁸ While the Roak Block continued to house small businesses and offices through the early and mid-twentieth century, changing retail patterns gradually diminished downtown foot traffic.¹⁹
The decline of the textile industry after World War II further eroded the city’s economic base.²⁰ Vacancies increased in older commercial structures, and maintenance costs rose. Like many historic blocks, the Roak underwent alterations to storefronts and interiors to accommodate evolving retail needs, sometimes at the expense of architectural detail.²¹
By the late twentieth century, Lewiston’s downtown experienced both economic hardship and preservation efforts. Urban renewal initiatives in the 1960s and 1970s reshaped portions of the commercial district, but several nineteenth-century blocks, including the Roak, survived demolition.²²
Preservation and Legacy
In recent decades, revitalization efforts in downtown Lewiston have emphasized historic preservation, adaptive reuse, and cultural tourism.²³ The Roak Block’s continued presence contributes to the architectural continuity of Lisbon Street and the broader historic district associated with Lewiston’s industrial rise.
Today, the building stands as a testament to the city’s mercantile expansion during its textile heyday. Its brick façade and upper-story windows recall an era when commercial blocks functioned as engines of urban life, linking mill wages, immigrant entrepreneurship, and civic development.²⁴
The Roak Block thus embodies the layered history of Lewiston: industrial growth, ethnic diversity, economic challenge, and gradual renewal.
Footnotes
Edward P. Weston, ed., History of Lewiston, Maine (Lewiston: Lewiston Journal Print, 1892), 145–148.
Ibid., 152–155.
Lewiston City Directory, 1872 (Lewiston: Edward Johnson & Co., 1872), 98.
Sanborn Map Company, Insurance Maps of Lewiston, Maine, 1884 (New York: Sanborn Map Co., 1884), sheet 3.
Leland M. Roth, American Architecture: A History (Boulder: Westview Press, 2001), 279–281.
Sanborn Map Company, Insurance Maps of Lewiston, 1884, sheet 3.
Lewiston City Directory, 1880, 112–115.
Lewiston City Directories, 1872–1900, entries under “Boots and Shoes,” pp. 98, 113, 145, 162.
Maine Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics, Annual Report, 1896 (Augusta: Kennebec Journal Print, 1897), 201–204.
Auburn City Directory, 1895 (Auburn: Merrill & Webber, 1895), 87–94.
Maine Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics, Annual Report, 1896, 205–208.
Lewiston City Directory, 1890, 133–136.
Ralph D. Vicero, Immigration of French Canadians to New England, 1840–1900 (New York: Arno Press, 1970), 98–101.
Weston, History of Lewiston, 162–164.
Lewiston City Directory, 1895, 145–148.
Maine Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics, Annual Report, 1898 (Augusta: Kennebec Journal Print, 1899), 149–151.
Ibid., 152–154.
Maine Department of Economic Development, Urban Retail Trends in Maine, 1958, 6–9.
Lewiston City Directory, 1955, 210–215.
Maine Bureau of Labor Statistics, Manufacturing Employment Report, 1965, 22–24.
National Register of Historic Places, Lewiston Commercial Historic District Nomination Form (Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1979), 14–18.
Ibid., 20–22.
City of Lewiston, Downtown Revitalization Plan, 2005, 8–12.
National Register of Historic Places, Lewiston Commercial Historic District Nomination Form, 14–18.
Bibliography
Auburn City Directory. Auburn, 1895.
City of Lewiston. Downtown Revitalization Plan. Lewiston, 2005.
Lewiston City Directories. Lewiston, various years, 1872–1955.
Maine Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics. Annual Reports. Augusta, various years.
Maine Bureau of Labor Statistics. Manufacturing Employment Report. Augusta, 1965.
National Register of Historic Places. Lewiston Commercial Historic District Nomination Form. Washington, D.C.: U.S. Department of the Interior, 1979.
Roth, Leland M. American Architecture: A History. Boulder: Westview Press, 2001.
Vicero, Ralph D. Immigration of French Canadians to New England, 1840–1900. New York: Arno Press, 1970.
Weston, Edward P., ed. History of Lewiston, Maine. Lewiston: Lewiston Journal Print, 1892.
