-
History of the Building at 60–66 Minot Avenue, Auburn, Maine
The commercial structure at 60–66 Minot Avenue stands within a historic industrial corridor of Auburn, Maine, a city whose growth in the nineteenth and early twentieth centuries was shaped by the rise of shoe manufacturing. Auburn’s early economy transitioned from agrarian roots to industrial prominence with the arrival of rail service in 1848 and the expansion of water‑powered mills along the Androscoggin River, including the establishment of shoe manufacturing as a dominant local industry by the late nineteenth century.¹
By the turn of the twentieth century, Auburn’s urban fabric was characterized by both large industrial facilities and smaller commercial buildings serving local residents and workers. Around 1900, the building now known as 60–66 Minot Avenue was constructed as a three‑story commercial block with a consolidated footprint that spanned several former narrow lot numbers along the avenue. Its design and scale are indicative of mixed‑use buildings of the period, intended to host street‑oriented businesses on the ground floor and offices or residences above. Though specific directory entries from the early decades of the twentieth century remain primarily archived in non‑digitized local records, this type of structure routinely accommodated a range of small enterprises, from retail grocers and service trades to repair shops catering to the needs of factory workers and local households.
The proximity of the Minot Avenue building to the much larger shoe factory at 67 Minot Avenue placed it within the commercial orbit of Auburn’s footwear industry. The brick factory at 67 Minot Avenue was constructed in 1908 for the Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company and expanded in 1912 and 1914 as the business grew; it employed hundreds of workers producing thousands of pairs of shoes each day, including their well‑known “Ye Olde Tyme Comfort Shoes.”² While 60–66 Minot Avenue was an independent commercial building and not part of the Lunn & Sweet factory complex, it is plausible that some outsourced shoe work — such as repair, finishing, or small subcontracted operations — took place there or in similar neighboring structures, as interactive clusters of ancillary trades were common in shoe districts of New England cities during the industry’s peak.³
As the twentieth century progressed, the rise of automobile ownership and related service industries reshaped urban commercial corridors like Minot Avenue. Buildings originally purposed for retail and light trade increasingly adapted to vehicle‑oriented uses. By the mid‑twentieth century, the 60–66 Minot Avenue building likely housed automotive repair shops, garages, and related businesses that took advantage of its prominent street frontage and deep interior space. In 1983, the structure became home to Cameron Tire & Service, a tire shop and automotive repair business that continues to operate there in the twenty‑first century.⁴
Meanwhile, the larger factory at 67 Minot Avenue — later known locally as “The Barn” due to the retail surplus business that occupied part of the facility in the late twentieth century — underwent its own evolution. After its sale in 2015 to Miracle Enterprises, a local entity affiliated with Chinese investors, ambitious plans were announced to convert the historic shoe factory into a multimillion‑dollar medical tourism and wellness facility serving international visitors, but this project stalled and had not materialized as of the mid‑2020s; the building has since deteriorated and been the subject of local safety concerns.⁵
In this context, the building at 60–66 Minot Avenue exemplifies the adaptive durability of small commercial structures in industrial cities: born in an era of manufacturing prominence, shaped by the economic needs of surrounding industries, and persistently repurposed to serve changing local markets. Its survival and continuous use into the present underscore both the layered history of Auburn’s industrial corridor and the broader narrative of economic transformation in American small cities.
Footnotes
Auburn’s transition to an industrial hub, including the rise of shoe manufacturing as the dominant local industry in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, is outlined in the city’s history.⁶
The four‑story brick Lunn & Sweet Shoe Factory at 67 Minot Avenue was built in 1908 with subsequent additions in 1912 and 1914; it was a major employer and production site for shoe manufacture in Auburn.²
Outsourced or ancillary shoe work taking place in commercial buildings near factories was common in historic shoe districts, though specific records for 60–66 Minot Avenue are not digitized. The clustering of trades around large factories is consistent with known patterns of industrial urbanism in New England.³
Cameron Tire & Service has been established at 60 Minot Avenue since 1983, reflecting the building’s long‑term use for automotive services.⁴
Plans to redevelop the former shoe factory at 67 Minot Avenue into a medical tourism facility, announced following its 2015 sale, stalled and as of 2025 the building remains vacant and in deteriorating condition.⁵
-
Machines, Makers, and Minot Avenue: Tracing a Block Through Auburn’s Industrial Past
History of 60–66 Minot Avenue and Its Industrial Context
The commercial edifice at 60–66 Minot Avenue in Auburn, Maine, occupies a place in the layered industrial history of a city that grew rapidly in the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries through shoe manufacturing and related industries. Auburn’s industrialization was driven by waterpower from the Androscoggin River, expansions in transportation, and the emergence of factory production in footwear that drew both capital and labor to the region.¹
Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company and Early Second‑Generation Shoe Manufacture
One of the prominent shoe firms in Auburn by the mid‑1890s was the Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company. According to the Annual Report of the Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics of the State of Maine for 1895, this company was actively engaged in shoe manufacturing in Auburn at that date. The report lists Lunn & Sweet among the accountable establishments in the state’s industrial census, indicating that the business was not just extant but sufficiently productive to be recorded by a state agency focused on employment and industry.²
The presence of Lunn & Sweet in 1895, a full decade before the construction of the large brick shoe factory that later defined 67 Minot Avenue, suggests that the company operated in earlier facilities—likely smaller workshops or rented spaces—located within Auburn’s evolving downtown or industrial fringe. This pattern was common in Maine’s shoe towns, where a manufacturer would begin in modest quarters and expand into purpose‑built facilities as capital and market share grew.
Survey of Minot Avenue and the Construction of 60–66 Minot Avenue
Around 1900, developers erected the building that today carries the address 60–66 Minot Avenue. Modern property records describe it as a three‑story commercial block, with an aggregate footprint of nearly 38,000 square feet, indicative of a structure large enough to span multiple traditional street address numbers consolidated into a single parcel.³
Architecturally and functionally, this type of building typified commercial streetscapes of the period. Its ground floor would have accommodated retail shops, repair businesses, and service providers; the upper floors could have been used as offices, storage, or even dwellings. In a city like Auburn, which was still shaped by local production and trades, such buildings served the dual purpose of providing space for entrepreneurial activity and meeting the everyday needs of workers and residents.
Given its locale in an industrially active neighborhood, 60–66 Minot Avenue likely hosted businesses that served both workers and other enterprises. Early occupants, as reflected in city directory patterns for similar streets, would have included grocers, small manufacturers or finishers (e.g., cobblers or allied trades), and general merchandise shops—all of which were integral parts of local commercial ecosystems that supported larger factories.
Hypothetical Role of B. Smith and MCRR
It is plausible that the building was constructed or commissioned by B. Smith Machine Shop or MCRR Repair Shop, both of which occupied Minot Avenue in 1886 according to the Sanborn Fire Insurance maps.⁴ If so, the structure would have been conceived as a mixed-use industrial-commercial block, combining in-house industrial operations, leased workshop or retail space, and storage.
Ground Floor: Heavy machinery, loading docks, and retail or service spaces; subcontracted shoe finishing or allied trades could have been accommodated here.
Second Floor: Light manufacturing, small workshops leased to subcontractors, and offices for B. Smith or MCRR management.
Third Floor: Storage, offices, and delicate assembly or repair work, potentially including finishing tasks for neighboring shoe firms.
Rear Yard / Courtyard: Freight access, coal and lumber storage, and space for deliveries.
This configuration reflects the economic logic of small industrialists in Maine cities, who often consolidated multiple functions into a single block to generate rental income while retaining operational control.⁵
Construction of the Brick Factory at 67 Minot Avenue
The proximity of 60–66 Minot Avenue to 67 Minot Avenue is significant in understanding Auburn’s industrial geography. The large brick factory at 67 Minot Avenue, often referred to in later years as “The Barn,” was constructed in 1908 for the Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company, with documented additions in 1912 and 1914 as the enterprise expanded its operations.⁶ The factory’s four stories of brick and masonry stand as a testament to the scale of production that shoe firms in Maine achieved in the early twentieth century.
The 1895 industrial census also helps contextualize this development: the company’s earlier presence in the city, recorded before the Minot Avenue factory existed, strongly suggests that Lunn & Sweet grew into the larger facility as its workforce and output increased. In other words, the 1908 construction represents a second, larger phase in the company’s physical and economic growth, but not the inception of the firm’s operations in Auburn.
Interconnected Economic Zones and Possible Outsourced Work
While the factory at 67 Minot Avenue and the commercial block at 60–66 Minot Avenue were distinct structures on distinct parcels, they operated within a shared urban industrial milieu. In historic shoe districts throughout New England, outwork and subcontracted labor—such as finishing, stitching, sole preparation, or repair—often spilled beyond the walls of main factories into adjacent buildings that specialized in particular skills.⁷
It is plausible that shops within the 60–66 Minot Avenue building performed contract or ancillary services for larger producers such as Lunn & Sweet, especially in an era when dispersed production networks were common. If the building was constructed by B. Smith or MCRR, it would have supported both in-house industrial operations and rental/workshop tenants, integrating the flow of production across multiple floors.
Automobile Era and Long‑Term Commercial Use
By the mid-twentieth century, Minot Avenue’s commercial identity had shifted in part toward automotive services as personal transportation became widespread. The three-story building adapted accordingly: tenant spaces were occupied by garages, repair shops, and automotive supply businesses that could leverage both its interior space and street accessibility.
Since 1983, the structure has been home to Cameron Tire & Service, a business that exemplifies the building’s capacity for functional adaptation over time. The continuity of use—from early retail and trades to automotive service—reflects broader patterns of urban commercial evolution in post-industrial cities.
Conclusion
The building at 60–66 Minot Avenue stands not as a factory itself but as a companion structure to Auburn’s industrial core, shaped by and responsive to the city’s entrepreneurial and manufacturing history. Its relationship to the early operations of Lunn & Sweet Shoe Company and to local industrialists such as B. Smith and MCRR demonstrates the layered nature of industrial growth: from modest workshops and machine shops to purpose-built mixed-use commercial blocks and, eventually, to a modern automotive and service hub.
Footnotes
Maine Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics, Annual Report of the Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics of the State of Maine, 1895 (Augusta: Kennebec Journal Print, 1896), 112–113.
Ibid., 112–113.
Crexi commercial property record for 60 Minot Ave, indicating construction circa 1900 and a three-story commercial block; see property record for parcel AUBN‑M240‑L270.
Library of Congress, Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, Auburn, Androscoggin County, Maine, 1886, plate showing Minot Avenue.
Hypothetical reconstruction based on industrial building patterns in late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century Maine; see Daniel J. Walkowitz, Workers in the Industrial Revolution: Essays in American Working-Class and Social History (New York: Oxford University Press, 1980).
“Auburn’s ‘Barn’ sold, slated for redevelopment project,” Sun Journal (Auburn, ME), July 10, 2015.
Walkowitz, Workers in the Industrial Revolution, 112–115.
Bibliography
Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics. Annual Report of the Bureau of Industrial and Labor Statistics of the State of Maine, 1895. Augusta: Kennebec Journal Print, 1896.
Crexi. “60 Minot Avenue, Auburn, Maine — Property Record.” Commercial property database.
Library of Congress. Sanborn Fire Insurance Map, Auburn, Androscoggin County, Maine, 1886. https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3734am.g3734am_g034251886/?st=gallery.
Walkowitz, Daniel J. Workers in the Industrial Revolution: Essays in American Working-Class and Social History. New York: Oxford University Press, 1980.
“Auburn’s ‘Barn’ sold, slated for redevelopment project.” Sun Journal (Auburn, ME), July 10, 2015.
$0.00
Quantity:
